Monday, August 26, 2013

Lincoln on the current wave of Despotism.

The Way I See It:  Sorry, but I've got to get this little rant off my chest, because the news media seems intent on dangerously circling around the subject of despotism. I have a few quotes from Abraham Lincoln that will make everything so much clearer.

The Republican/Tea Party movement is based on their odd definition of "self-governance." We're seeing that now with Hobby Lobby's resistance to ObamaCare. They're insisting their religious beliefs extend into their commercial business, which ends up governing the lives and religion of their private sector employees. Abraham Lincoln Spoke on the Kansas Nebraska Act
"I trust I understand, and truly estimate the right of self-government. My faith in the proposition that each man should do precisely as he pleases with all which is exclusively his own, lies at the foundation of the sense of justice there is in me … When the white man governs himself, and also governs another man, that is more than self-government--that is despotism." 
I love that line.

The Republican political elite: I believe the extremists on the right rise to the top as Republican politicians. With a few tweaks to reduce employee safety nets, these elite politicians have set out to create a desperate low wage worker (slave).  Mitt Romney's "Corporations are people my friend" laid it all right out there for everyone to see.

With the Walker Authority discounting public protests and deciding who can or cannot gather to speak out against government policy, conservatives are unwittingly putting in place our new set of "masters." Their "leadership" means passing laws the public won't like, but needs, for their own good. It's the opposite of real self-government.
"The master not only governs the slave without his consent; but he governs him by a set of rules altogether different from those which he prescribes for himself. Allow ALL the governed an equal voice in the government, and that, and that only, is self-government."
Thanks, I feel better now.

No comments:

Post a Comment