Friday, May 18, 2012

Tea Party voter on Obamacare, still hates mandate: "Without it, I would have been dead on March 2."

Wanna know what the tea party voter thinks about the Affordable Care Act's mandate, even if their life depended on it?  
WaPo: Cancer patient Kathy Watson voted Republican in 2008 and believes the government has no right telling Americans to get health insurance. Nonetheless, she says she’d be dead if it weren’t for President Barack Obama’s health care law.

Now the Florida small businesswoman is worried the Supreme Court will strike down her lifeline. Under the law, Watson and nearly 62,000 other “uninsurable” patients are getting coverage through a little-known program for people who have been turned away by insurance companies because of pre-existing medical conditions.

“Without it, I would have been dead on March 2,” Watson said of the Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Plan, known as PCIP. “It’s scary,” she said. “They need to look at this carefully because it is going to affect a lot of people with a lot of bad conditions who are not going to have any health care coverage.”

She tried applying to a major insurance company for a small business plan for her and her employees, and was quickly rejected.

Watson says she still disagrees with Obama’s requirement that individuals have health insurance, either through an employer, a government program or by purchasing their own plan. “I approve of some of it,” she said of the law, “I don’t approve of the mandatory ... insurance. I have no problem paying my insurance and paying my copays,” she said. “I just think I should have the right to purchase insurance.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment