Wednesday, April 13, 2011

After Long Court Battle, Paid Sick leave Repealed: the moral is…

You’ve seen the story:
Milwaukee's ordinance requiring businesses to provide paid sick leave would be voided under a bill Assembly Republicans sent Gov. Scott Walker.
But an odd thing happened; my conservative friend called me when he read the story this morning, and he was in utter amazement. He basically told me the following, as explained in the jsonline:
The bill would nullify Milwaukee's paid sick day ordinance, which had been in the courts since it was passed in November 2008. The recent appeals decision upholding the law may be the final word on the legal front because the state Supreme Court earlier was unable to issue a decision when it split 3-3.
He asked me if I noticed anything, and I asked him what he was getting at. He wondered why the Republican legislature continues to blame the Democrats for using the “courts” to hold up their agenda, while conservative business groups used those same “courts” since 2008, to prevent the will of the people from legally receiving paid sick leave at their jobs.

Did my very conservative friend just take down his own party? Good one. 

One more thing: The new authoritarian Walker administration decided this wrong needed to be dealt with immediately, so they passed a law banning paid sick leave. Such burdensome laws levied on our royal “job creators” was unthinkable. 
"I said all along that's something I'm interested in correcting," Walker said.

No comments:

Post a Comment