Friday, April 22, 2011

PA Rep. Barletta Listening Session turns Hostile over Paul Ryan Plan.


Listen for the authoritarian grump in the audience tell the speaker to SIT DOWN! You know, some people don't have the right to a different opinion.



Think Progress: Rep. Lou Barletta (R-PA) received a similarly hostile reception from constituents during a public forum in Carbon County, as he tried to (incorrectly) reassure the group that Ryan’s budget would not affect the Medicare benefits of those over the age of 55.“This plan does not do nothing to affect anyone 55 years or older,” he said.  
But before Barletta could continue, 64-year-old Linda Christman raised her hand and argued that those under 55 would see an erosion of benefits. The exchange became heated as other constituents began yelling for the woman to “sit down“:
CHRISTMAN: Excuse me, I’d like to get something off my chest. And that is, you seem to think that because I’m not affected, I won’t care if my niece, my grandson, my child is affected. I do care. And what you’re doing with this Ryan budget is you’re taking Medicare and you’re changing it from a guaranteed health care system to one that is a voucher system where you throw seniors on the mercy of for-profit insurance companies. [...] 
BARLETTA: Well, I won’t destroy Medicare, Medicare is going to be destroyed by itself. You’re…. 
CHRISTMAN: I have a great way for you… 
CROWD: Let him talk….Sit down!…Let him talk! SIT DOWN! 
MAN: I agree with her. And you know what? Why don’t you tell me to sit down?! 
CROWD: SIT DOWN! 
MAN: She’s an American citizen. … Why don’t you show some manners and shut your mouth and let her talk. … Why don’t you grow up and stop acting like a bunch of little boys?

No comments:

Post a Comment