Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Anyone else worried about that copy of your voter ID?

I'm wondering if "freedom and liberty" loving small government conservatives ever thought about what happens to those picture ID copies sent along with their absentee ballot?
Those seeking to vote absentee this fall will have to provide local clerks a copy of their photo ID before their ballots will be counted, GAB Director Kevin Kennedy said today.
Gee, I would hate to see a partisan election worker accidentally leave with a few copies in their pocket. Or maybe a quick smart phone pic when nobodies looking, so someone could print one out later just in time for another important election.

Spreading your ID around in the mail and left to the devices of a corrupt election official in a back room somewhere sounds like an even bigger problem than the mythical identity theft known as voter fraud.

Warm up the scanner folks, someone wants your ID...

1 comment:

  1. You have a point but perhaps implying corruption isn't the best way to approach this; I believe the big majority of election officials in the state are honest and fair and that should be pointed out. I think a bigger concern would be someone who thinks 'hmmm, the town clerk, who in my small conservative community is related to me by blood or marriage back through several generations, will be looking at this. I wouldn't want her to think badly of me.'
    There are communities like this within driving distance of Milwaukee, and walking distance of my own home.
    Besides the fact that this is a basic privacy issue, it's an example of The Chilling Effect, and I don't doubt that this result is intended.

    ReplyDelete