Saturday, November 29, 2008

Eve Bunting's "The Wall," IncredibleTribute to Vietnam Veterans Memorial

When my son and I were watching PBS's Reading Rainbow one day five years ago, I found myself sad and shaken by their reading of "The Wall," by Eve Bunting. I'm tearing up just typing in the below quote from the School Library Journal.



From School Library Journal:

Grade 1-4-- A boy and his father have come to the Vietnam War Memorial to look for the boy's grandfather's name among those who were killed in the war. They find his name surrounded, but far from lost, in the rows of print that "march side by side, like rows of soldiers." "I'm proud that your grandfather's name is on this wall," says the boy's father. The boy agrees, adding, "but I'd rather have my grandpa here."

No comments:

Post a Comment