Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Tough Questions by Iowa Register Anger McCain and Show Disconnect with Reality

The Washington Post has been doing a good job uncovering the little things about the McCain campaign that add up to big problems. McCain’s press Q & A in Iowa is one of those problems. Not only are the questions spot on, but McCain’s unshakable belief in his campaigns proven lies and fabrications is unnerving, and so bizarre that I had to included the best cuts here. A great dissection of the interviews is below the clip.




A Sarcastic and Combative McCain Greets Iowa Editors By Michael D. Shear:

Sen. John McCain has always loved the give-and-take of chatting with a bunch of reporters around a table. But he didn't seem to enjoy Tuesday's grilling by the Des Moines Register editorial board.

McCain got particularly testy when asked about his running mate, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, and whether she has the experience to be president. Told that there are people who think she's not ready, McCain turned sarcastic.

"Really," he said with mock surprise. "I haven't detected that.... Now, if there's a Georgetown cocktail party person who, quote, calls himself a conservative, and doesn't like her, good luck, good luck, fine."

McCain also angrily dismisses the suggestion offered by a member of the editorial board that his campaign has diverted from the "Straight Talk" that had been its early hallmark.

"I think it would be valuable if you gave me some examples from, for an assertion of that nature," a clearly peeved McCain said.

The editor offered as an example a McCain ad which claimed that Obama supported comprehensive sex education for kindergarten children, a claim debunked by independent fact checkers.

"He did," McCain insisted. "He did. He did. I'll be glad to provide you -- we have the documentation. I'll be glad to provide it to you. Now, you may not accept that documentation. We have it and we found out it's true."

When the editors noted that McCain has enjoyed taxpayer financed health care plan his entire adult life, McCain offered another sarcastic answer.

"You know that's an interesting statement, isn't it," he said, smiling. "So, and I have never, um, been an astronaut, but I think I know the challenges of space. And I've never done a lot of things in my life that I think I am familiar with."

McCain continued by noting that his health care plan differs starkly from his opponent's, which he described as government-run health care. He then leaned back and appeared to reference his time as a prisoner of war.

"I did go a period of time where the health care wasn't so good."

No comments:

Post a Comment