Friday, October 12, 2018

Cable TV and Movie Studios not that into 4K, while Consumers wait patiently in front of their 4K TV's for them to catch up.

4k TV's are really a major step forward in clarity. There really isn't anything like it.

But wait, consumers are still stuck with blurry old "high definition" programming. And don't hold your breath for 4K cable programming or a decent 4K Blu-ray player any time soon. The entertainment industry just isn't that into 4K or you.

With all the hoopla now about 8K TV's, you'd think the entertainment industry would be urgently rolling out 4K discs and cable channels like crazy. Naw.

I got a bad feeling about this when I tried to upgrade to a simple component Blu-ray recorder, which would have replaced my old DVD recorder...which was an upgrade from my now long retired VHS recorder. That's how I get all my video clips for the blog.

Kids: All of this came into sharp 4K focus when my 16-year-old asked if I would buy about 8 Marvel Universe movies for this weekend. Yea, it's a crazy request, but I thought about it for a while and then looked into what it would take to do that.

First, 4K disc's are way too expensive. That doesn't help to roll out the format, does it?

Second, I don't have a 4K Blu-ray player. That's because they're too expensive, and because not all 4K formats are included, like Dolby Vision. And because manufacturer updates are glitchy and screw up the machines. Seriously?

Third, if I did go through with my kid's request, I'd have to buy blurry outdated Blu-ray discs or rent the 4K movies from Netflix or Amazon Prime. That's really really expensive. The only remaining electronics retailer Best Buy sucks at having any worthwhile 4K discs in stock.

Fourth, why are Netflix and Amazon Prime racing to get 4K streaming movies into peoples homes but our local cable provider isn't? Their product looks ultra shabby on my LG OLED 65" TV. And I'm paying them $170 a month for service?

Worse still: No one else is debating how bad the lag is for new technology. I haven't seen anything like this before, and I've been through the change from reel-to-reel, cassettes, CD's, VHS and Beta, DVD's, and now Blu-rays.

Get your act together for crying out loud.

No comments:

Post a Comment