Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Welcome to the 2 Hour wait to vote...in a primary for God's sake...

Esquire's Charlie Pierce just posted this...
Madison Mayor Paul Soglin made sure that the polls were fully staffed; the city clerk put on 2,500 new employees to work the various tables at the various polling places. There were new tables this time around. And the obstacle course that Walker and his pet legislature have made out of voting in Wisconsin has hidden tricks and traps that few people ultimately escape.
"The other thing, and this is where we're getting longer lines, the machine, which kind of looks like a large copying machine, the machine that accepts the ballot, the scanner, has been reprogrammed by the state and it's taking longer to accept the ballots. Under the old programming, I would walk up to the machine, put it in like this, and it would suck it in and I would just walk away. Now, you put it up there, and it very slowly accepts it, and you're, like, 'Ohhh.' And the machine devours the ballot and the screen comes up and it says you voted. Where it used to take about three seconds, it takes about 30-45 seconds depending on how nimble the person is who's putting in the ballot.

When I voted this morning, it took me a little longer, because of my ID, but, of course, I know what I'm doing. I go to the station and fill it out, and that was fine. Normally, I would have been out of there in 30 seconds, I'm now out of there in 5-10 minutes, having stand in this line while everybody inserts their ballots. And of course, everybody waits there to make sure their ballot gets counted. I don't know how bad this is going to be by the end of the day."
Here's the Wisconsin primary coverage an hour before polls closed, showing long lines, people leaving discouraged, and the lack of student IDs. One thing, many student may have voted early.  MSNBC:



Here's a demographic breakdown, where Democrats are not "liberal" again;



1 comment: