Thursday, January 25, 2018

National Forest Campground closed because nearby property Owner Target practice.

Well, what do you know, guns and freedom just got in the way of business. Guns win...for awhile?

UPDATE: 1/28/2018: What do you know, the guy with guns may be mentally unstable? Freedom folks:
The man whose behavior officials blame for the closure of the Boulder Lake Campground has been ordered to go to a mental health facility for at least six months of treatment. Earlier this month, the Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest canceled all reservations for the summer and closed the campground, citing safety concerns. The Oconto County Sheriff’s Department said it agreed with the shutdown decision based on deputies' encounters last year with the property owner … As part of the mental health commitment ruling, Judge Conley suspended the man’s right to possess firearms. The man could petition to have those rights restored, Pawlak said.

Businesses in the area say they are hopeful campers will be able to return. “I'm sure everybody is going to be greatly relieved because Boulder Lake campground is the money maker in the Nicolet campground system,” said Beth Boyd of Grudgeville Pub and Grub


This was first reported:
AP: Sheriff's officials say a popular campground in a northern Wisconsin forest will close this season due to safety concerns related to a neighboring property owner. WLUK-TV reports that officials decided to close the Boulder Lake Campground in the Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest because a nearby property owner was holding target practice on his land.

Oconto County Sheriff's Departmet Chief Deputy Ed Janke says that while that action is legal, it is concerning ... came to the decision to close the campground. About 85 people who have already reserved campsites will get refunds.

Town of Doty chairman, Dick Kendall, says the closure is disruptive to the thousands of visitors who use the campground, as well as the stores and restaurants they patronize.
Then things change, kinda?

A safety concern that led to the shutdown of a popular campground in Oconto County is now stable, deputies say.

According to Chief Deputy Ed Janke, the matter has been resolved through court proceedings and they no longer believe there are significant public safety concerns. Officials did not say how the threat was stabilized.

No comments: