Thursday, June 5, 2008

Green Economy for Us, Green Money for GM?

I may have my disagreements with our now conservative neighbors to the north, Canada, but they’ve floated an idea that has at least peaked my interest. It includes the one thing I hate most about Republicans: the eaze at which they dole out corporate welfare. Their plan is simple: spend taxpayer money to update the GM Oshawa truck plant set for closing, so it can manufacture green vehicles and save 2,600 jobs.

Here’s the story from CBC:
The federal government may be able to use a multimillion-dollar green vehicle fund to entice General Motors to continue manufacturing cars at a plant slated for closing next year, according to the finance minister.

Jim Flaherty suggested Wednesday the Conservative government could put up money from its $250-million automotive innovation fund, meant to assist in the development of environmentally friendly and fuel-efficient vehicles, to help keep the Oshawa, Ont., pickup truck factory alive. Flaherty said he hopes to use federal money to encourage production of another car to replace the trucks that will no longer be manufactured at the plant. "I've already spoken with General Motors about that," said Flaherty. The key is to work with the union, work with the company to see what's necessary in terms of technological innovation."


I know, I don’t like the idea of rewarding a U.S. auto manufacturers for their lack of foresight with a bailout either, but hear me out. Because of the cost of updating the plant, GM would have to go through the normal process of building into the price of each vehicle the money needed to recoup their investment. That dollar amount, contributed by taxpayers, would be subtracted from the price of every car manufactured until the cost is paid back. Cheaper cars, happy union workers and everybody wins.

Because I’m feeling a little ideologically dirty right now, help me into the light if I have strayed.

I found this video of the GM Volt, a hybrid car scheduled for 2010. The plug-in is back.

No comments:

Post a Comment